The Name The previous knowledge about the name "Arnswald" inconnection with the name "von Arnswald", which has its origin in theregion around Kelbra, the castle ruin Honstein.There are severalhistory-books and .existing documents which identify that the nameArnswald has its origin from a relative of the Honstein castle ruin.
The first document with the name "von Arnswald"The books "Die Herren von Arnswald und ihre Sippe" by Werner Constantin von Arnswald 22. Oktober 1217 Elger Graf zu Honstein verkauft mit Zustimmung seiner Gemahlin (Oda) und seiner Söhne Dietrich, Heinrich und des Klerikers Elgers des Jüngerem dem Kloster Walkenried für 52 Mark eine Joch haltende Hufe zu Otstede, die Berthold,Gerungs Sohn nach dem Tode seines Vaters bekam, und 8 Joch und eine Hofstätte zu Urbach (Urbeke); er verspricht, jene vom Reiche zu Lehne rührende Hufe dem Kaiser Friedrich II. aufzulassen und sie bis zur Erledigung des Geschäftes zu Handen seiner Getreuen B u r c h a r d s v o n H o n s t e i n und seines Bruders H e r m a n n s v o n A r e n s w a l t und Dietrichs von Wilerode zu übergeben. Die 6 gräflichen Ministerialien Witego von Linderbeke, Hermann von Cuoninghesrod, Werner von Woffleben (Wafeleve), Werner von (Nieder-)Sachswerfen (Xaxferfe), Heinrich von Liebenrode und Heinrich von Kleisingen (Sclusunghe) leisten Bürgschaft mit der Verpflichtung, in Nordhausen gegebenen Falls Einlager zu halten. Zeugen: Witekind Canonicus von Ilfeld und Heinrich von Salza, Priester; Otto von Rosla, Eckhard von Vodenrode, Heinrich von Wülferode, Dietmar Vogt und Dientrich von Kleisingen.Reg. im Walkenr. U.B. no. 100 aus dem Original im Landeshauptarchiv zu Wolfenbüttel: Dobenecker, Reg. Dipl. hist. Thur. II. no. 1766.Konrad von Sangerhausen, approx. around 1120, built this castle on aporphyry-cone near Neustadt in the Harz mountain area. This castle wasthe family-castle of the counts of Honstein. In 1627, during theoccupation of the Thirty Years' War, this castle fell a victim to thefire and burnt down.
Burchard I. von Honstein and Ascherode was born nearly in1145, and his occupation was a knight. He had two sons, namely BurchardII, born about 1170, who inherited the castle Honstein and Hermann I.,born about 1163. This Hermann I. in 1217 settled into the Arnswald(Aar-wood or eagle-wood where the eagles dwelled) and built his castleon the highest point of this wood near Uftrungen. (Today you can see anembankment only).
And now an explanation of the name Arnswald (without "von").Here we will show you a version we found out: There is an existinggenealogical tree of the family "von Arnswald(t)". In this tree youwill find a person called Heinrich V. von Arnswald, born about in 1460and died approx. in 1538. This Heinrich V. got an order by the GrandMaster of the Order of Teutonic Knights to settle to East Prussia.Since 1230, the German Knight-Order settled Prussia down to the borderof Lithuania. The knights of the knight-order took three vows (poverty,chastity and obedience) and obliged themselves to fight against theheathen. Their monastic garb was a white coat with a black cross. In1199 the Pope confirmed the German Order. On February 14, 1497 Johannvon Tiefen signed the Gut Wackern to Heinrich von Arnswald. His son was
1. Christoph IV. von Arnswald, born in 1511 at Kelbra. He diedin 1599 on Kracken- stein. His son
2. was Hans III. von Arnswald, born before 1590 and died in1622. He had a son, called
3. Hans Christoph von Arnswald, born before 1602 and died in1659 on Schmirdtkeim. One of his sons was
4. Erasmus Christoph von Ahrendswald, born about in 1633 onSchmirdtkeim where he died about in 1685. He married Anna Euphrosinevon Strauss and they had 4 children. But before he married, he had alove to the court-maid Orthe (or Orthusch). This flirtation hadconsequences. His illegitimate son Christoph I. was born on May 14,1665. In his birth certificate of the church of Schippenbeil is toread: On May 14, 1665 a bastard of Schmirdtkeim is christened, hismother is the court-maid Orthe, his father is Erasmus Christoph vonAhrendswald, … god for punishment, 300.00 Gulden. 5.Christoph Arnswald, born on May 14, 1665, at Schippenbeil, died onOctober 9, 1754. This Christoph had 10 children, among other thingsMaria Barbara born in 1701, Michael Gottlieb, born in 1702,Christoph,born in 1712 and Reinhold, born in 1713. He married Maria Reimer, bornin 1665 and died on November 15, 1734. It is necessary to explain thatit was not allowed to have the addition "von" in the name, if theperson was an illegitimate one. The style of the name was notimportant. The public employees wrote the names of the persons they hadto certify like they understood them.
5. Until 1845 only churches certified the birth, the marriageor the death. These church books were the official certificates. From1845 until today we have a registry office. Consequently, Christoph andhis descendants did not have the addition "von" in their name.
6. A son of this Christoph was Michael Gottlieb, born onFebruary 23, 1702 at Adamswalde. He married Anna Czinskin. A son ofthem, called Christoph was born in 1736 at Gerdauen. His third marriagewith Maria Elisabeth Klein took place in 1781. They had a son calledCarl, born in 1786. This Carl married Luisa Karnowski, and they had ason called Gottfried, bon in 1815 who also had a son Gottfried, born in1842, who married Justine Engel. This Gottfried opened the lineage ofDr. Wolfgang Arnswald at Stade, Helga Reker and Horst Arnswald atOberhausen, Ute Hofmann at Bretten, Helmut and Wilfried Arnswald atEttlingen.
7.Michael Gottlieb, born 1702 had a son called Christoph, whowas born in 1736 and was married in his third marriage with Maria Elisabeth Klein. Their son Gottlieb, * 1784 from Barragin hada daughter called Louise Dorothea Arenswald. She opens the line toBettina Heise and Klaus Peter Koch from Schwelm.
8. This son Gottfried, born in 1842, had one brother calledWilhelm, born in1844 who commenced the branch of Bodo Arnswald of Balvewith his family members of Hemer.
9. A further son of Michael Gottlieb was Christian Arnswald,born on December 27, 1749 who married Marie Louise Bock in 1789. ThisChristian started the branch of Fritz Arnswald with his childrenEckhard and Brunhild at Freigericht, and Monika Weis at Coesfeld.
10. Christian Arenswald, born on December 27, 1749 also had ason Christian, born in 1776 at Neuhof. They had a daughter CharlotteArenswald who married Martin Ballies in 1833, and he opened theconnection to the Ballies descendants in America.
11. This Christian had a daughter called Eleonora Arnswald,born on April 15, 1799 who gave birth to an illegitimate child CarlArnswald, who connected the line Thomas Arnswald.
12. One son of Christoph I,. born in 1665 was ReinholdArnswald, born on September 24, 1713 at Adamswalde and died on March30, 1775 at Allenau. This Reinhold married Catharina Korsch, born onNovember 17, 1713 and died on July 16, 1772. They had 8 children.
13. Reinhold also had a son called Christoph, born on June 5,1752. His first marriage with Anna Dorothea Korsch was in 1776. Theyhad one son called Martin, born in 1777. Their son Christoph II. andhis son Martin Gottlieb Arnswald, born in 1854 opened the line and thedescendants of the family tree of Peter and Jürgen Arnswaldwith his first wife Mechthild from Braunschweig.
14. One brother of this Martin Gottlieb, born in 1854 was HeinrichBenno Eduard Arnswald, born in 1856. He formed the link to the pedigreeof Peer Arnswald at Bannewitz.
15.Christoph Arnswald, born on June 5, 1752, a son of ReinholdArnswald, the first marriage of whom was in 1776 with Anna DorotheaKorsch (you can have a look at No. 11, too). His .son Martin, born in1777 the second marriage of whom was with Anna Barbara Rehberg, born onJanuary 13, 1791. Martin had a son called Christoph, and this Christophhad a daughter called Anna Auguste Arnswald. She was born on March 10,1863 and married Richard Wilhelm Crüger. Their daughter calledAnna Crüger, married a person named Sommer. That was theconnection between the Arnswalds and the family Sommer. Mr. Sommer hadalso searched for his ancestors and contacted several familiesAnrswald. In January 1983 he was alreday 70 years old.
16. Reinhold's son Christoph born in 1752, married AnnaElisabeth Bessel. It was his second marriage and they had a son calledChristoph Johann, born in 1792. Their direct descendants are UrselWitte in Bad Oeynhausen and Werner Arnswald at Bergisch Gladbach andhis son Stephan at Baar, Switzerland.
17. Gregor Arnswald was a son of Reinhold. He married twice.His second wife was Anna Barbara Sturmhöfel. They married onOctober 15, 1783 and got 11 children. One of them was Carl, born in1803, died in 1873. He opened the lineage and the descendants of thefamily-tree belonging to Erich Mey at Rheinbach. His mother was JohannaMaria Luise Arnswald.
18. One son of Reinhold's son Gregor was Gottfried Arenswald,born on March 30, 1789. This Gottfried married for the first timeRegina Rhodmann. These ancestors belong to Edeltraut Schinkel atWalsrode, Helga Beck at Uetersen, Horst at Bremen, Manfred at Belm andPeter with Gabi at Coesfeld.
19. A son of this Gottfried, born 1789 was Johann BernhardArnswald, born in 1813 who married Charlotte Lossau. Klaus-PeterArnswald from Landau is a descendant of these Arnswalds.
20.Furthermore, a son of Reinhold's son Gregor was ChristophJohann Arnswald, born on December 24, 1793. He married CarolineHermann, and they got a son called Johann Gustav Hermann Arenswald whohad 6 children. These Arenswalds opened the line of Sabine Baumgartenat Neustadt a. Rbge., the Arnswalds at Bremervörde,UweArnswald at Hagen Westfalia, Ralf Arens- wald at Bad Berka and Gerhardwith Barbara at Berlin. Here has to be mentioned that only one of these6 children, Richard Louis, had an "e" in his surname, perhaps becausehe went to Elbing when he was young, while his other brothers stayed inEast-Prussia.
21. Now we want to tell about Carl Ludwig Arnswald, born onFebruary 14, 1795. He was a son of Reinhold's son Gregor. Carl Ludwigmarried for the first time Anna Katharina Kahlke. One child of thismarriage was Gottlieb, born in 1835 at Sieslack. They opened thelineage to our friends, namely Normam C. James, Elizabeth and DanielGeorge Arnswald in America.
22. One son of Reinhold's son Gregor and his second wife AnnaSturmhöfel was Friedrich, born in 1799. He died in 1858. ThisFriedrich had a son Christoph who was the ancestor of our French linewith Hubert, André at Fréjus, Roland and AlainArnswald at Sarreguemines.
23. This Friedrich, born in 1799 also was a son of Gregor. Hehad a son called Carl August, born in 1837 at Allenau. These Arnswaldscommenced the branch of Reinhold and Ute Arnswald with their childrenat Melbeck. All the documents we had a look at, showed us that all themembers named Arnswald came from East-Prussia. There is no ArnswaldFamily whose ancestors came from West-Germany or West-Prussia likeArnswalde. The name of the Arnswalder Street at Berlin and Hamburg is aresult of Arnswalde in West-Prussia, while the Arnswaldt Street atHannover was named by Christian Ludwig August von Arnswaldt, born in1733. He was a Minister at Hannover and Curator of the University atGöttingen. With this knowledge we are able to proceed from theassumption that all the civil Arnswald- members without the prefix"von" from East-Prussia are descendants of the illegitimate ChristophI., because his ancestors came from Kelbra to East-Prussia in about1480 for settling that country. Finally, a comment about the first "vonArnswald" coat of arms. In his first book "The Gentlemen von Arnswaldtand their Families" Werner Constantin von Arnswaldt, born in 1877,mentioned that the Arnswald-Arms show a silver diagonal right propcovered with three red roses on a blue shield. On the helmet withblue-silver covers there are blue open eagle-wings also covered withsilver diagonal right prop with three red roses on every eagle wing.The last coat of arms of the Arnswald family from East-Prussia of theyear about 1700 looks like the first arms we know. The shape only isadapted to that one of the 16th century.
This combination was made by Gabi and Peter Arnswald